Earlier this month, I boarded an Amtrak train in Los Angeles, on my way to Ventura, California. A few stops before my destination, I noticed a strange smell. By the time I got to my stop at Chatsworth station and the doors opened, the toxic fumes were so bad that I grabbed for a piece of clothing to cover my face. My upper lip felt numb and my nose was burning. I found it intolerable, but other passengers seemed not to notice. When I asked about it, someone told me about a gas leak that had been ongoing for months.